Your Ad Here

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Tom Hooper - interview with director of THE KING'S SPEECH

Tom Hooper has certainly shown he's adept at directing
great historical and period dramas. His credits include:

The King's Speech, John Adams, Longford
Elizabeth I, Daniel Deronda, Love in a Cold Climate

I love hearing more details about period dramas from those behind the camera including the writers, costumers and directors so I enjoyed reading this interview that director Tom Hooper did regarding The King's Speech. I thought it was a sweet anecdote that it was his mother who initially discovered the play which was adapted for the film:

ComingSoon.net: Now, obviously you had great success with "John Adams," so was this something your agent found and sent you or did you hear about the script and sought it out?

Tom Hooper: Oh, I think it was a great story, so I can honestly say I only came to this material because I happen to be half-Australian and half-English, which also makes me uncannily suited to the material. My parents live in London and my Australian mom was invited by Australian friends of hers to a play reading at a tiny fringe theatre of an unrehearsed, un-produced play called "The King's Speech" in late 2007. They wanted her there to make up a kind of token Australian contingent. She almost didn't go, it didn't sound that promising, but in the end, they're good friends, so she said yes. She came home and said, "I've just seen this play and I think I've found your next film."

You can read the entire interview at comingsoon.net

Just found this video interview with Tom Hooper as well...

photo of Tom Hooper, Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush: Jason Merritt/Getty Images


More info on THE KING'S SPEECH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...