Your Ad Here

Monday, February 8, 2010

My Friend Natalie.

27 years seems like a lifetime. Russian Poet Lermontov, for example, had only 27 years to live his full of beautiful poetry life...Today, 27 years ago, my wonderful friend Natalie came into my life to grace it with her presence, kindness and beauty. I remember the first time I saw Natalie. It was one of the those cold, gray February days with no promise of sunshine.
I spotted Natalie sitting on the bench with a paper bag full of hard candy. She was wearing devastatingly crimson pants - I was literally hypnotized by the color. :-) I sat down next to her and for the next hour we enjoyed candy together in complete silence. We were 8 years old.
When we were 10, Natalie decided that when she will grow up, she will be a poet. Meanwhile, I was still dreaming of being ballerina. Natalie wrote hundreds of poems small ones and long ones - all equally brilliant to my 10 year old mind. Here is one of Natalie's poems: "The sky is gray, the star is falling, I am forever lost in flavor of this salad." :-)))
When we were 12, Natalie discovered her passion for sewing clothes. As a gift for my Birthday Natalie created a very special pair of pants for me - red with navy blue plaid, wide leg trousers I thought were the most fashionable thing I have ever seen. I wore it to school and was sent home by our very strict principle for wearing "rebellious clothes". :-)))
When we were 14, Natalie had a brilliant idea! Bangs! In Pink!!! How could I not try it!? We both cut our bangs and colored it pink and both were grounded by our parents for weeks.Not being able to call each other during this time, Natalie send me a letter with the picture of Catherine Deneuve: " To be beautiful, you must suffer inconveniences." :-)
At 15 we decided to run away from home, to travel to Poland and Germany by foot. We almost made it to Poland, but were stopped by police and returned home where our very upset parents grounded us once again for a very, very, VERY long time.
At 16 we were full of dreams. Natalie outgrew her desire to be a poet and decided to be a doctor instead. I had to say "good by" to my ballerina dreams and decided to be a teacher of English. We both graduated from high school and were accepted to the University following Summer. Natalie went on to graduate with a degree in Medicine, she became an endocrinologist, I became a teacher.
At 19 Natalie fell in love and got married. She was the most amazing bride, so beautiful, it took my breath away. Her marriage did not last long and she went on to marry 4 more times before she found her true love. I called her my very own Miss. Elizabeth Taylor. :-)))
She was there for the birth of my only daughter Anastasia and I was there for the birth of her three beautiful kids: Alexandra, Polina and Ivan. Through her several failed marriages and my very difficult first marriage, through life little tragedies and joys, through our several year long separation while I was trying to find my way in America - we were always present in each others life.
At 32 Natalie received devastating news - she was diagnosed with cancer. She fought like a lioness through 3 surgeries and four courses of chemotherapy. She lost all her beautiful hair, but she never lost her spirit and hope. Natalie won the battle: cancer retreated and Natalie went into remission. She is perfectly healthy now. :-)
So, here is to you, my beautiful Natalie, my friend, my sister, my confidante for 27 more years of wonderful friendship. I love you. :-)


Some of this pictures are courtesy wonderful Dustjacket Attic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...