Your Ad Here

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mercedes-Benz Accessories Exhibit. Disappointments. Part 2

So, yes, the lack of proper communication was frustrating to say the least. But still, it was nothing compare to what I can only describe as almost disbelief when I, finally, received my information kit. Apparently, my vision of " the gallery filled with beautiful Collections of handbags, jewelry, watches and more will be on display for guests to enjoy throughout the (Fashion) week" and the vision of Committee were as different as you can only imagine. I deliberately highlighted the word Collection in the quote from the official site of the Mercedes-Benz Accessories Exhibit so that you could see the difference.The picture you see above is the picture that was provided to me as a part of the kit for better understanding of what I had to look forward to. For the fee of 5,000$ (no surprise there since participating fee is a must during any Fashion Week) each participating designer would be assigned one glass box which measured 18"X18" . In this box accessories designer had to display no, not the Collection as it was advertised before, but a small part of the Collection - another words stuff the box with whatever would fit into it. Here is how it would look like during the fashion week. First of all, when it comes to the display case like this the word "Collections" becomes irrelevant for obvious reasons. I wrote about my personal philosophy of presenting Collection in Part 1. This is not the display of Accessories Collections. This is a random accessories parade. It does almost nothing for the presenting designer and almost everything for those who organise and profit off things like this. Their objective is not to display Collections, but simply to fill the empty spaces of the walls so that visiting fashion crowd would not feel bored between the shows.
Given the measurement of 18"X18" neither one of my hats would fit inside the glass container if displayed properly, on the head mannequin . I had 17 hats in my new Collection that I hoped to display during Mercedes-Benz Accessories Exhibit. Among other things promised to participating designers were various PR opportunities. Many of them would cost far less if done by each designer themselves with the help of an appropriate PR firm. One of the benefits stated was the " inclusion of Press Release in the Event News of the official Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week website". I have visited official website several times during New York Fashion Week and checked it once again today - the information displayed was never updated and contains info of previous seasons only( www.mercedesbenzfashionweek.com) . I think that the most upsetting thing for me to overcome was the realisation that design as a form of art becomes irrelevant when it starts to involve money and business. With that I had call to the person in charge of the exhibit and cancel my participation.
In attempt to recover from this upsetting events I called one of my friends in Paris. Clair is a phenomenal stylist and knows everything there is to know about Fashion, Fashion Weeks and everything about the industry. After I was done complaining, Clair responded with her fabulous accent and large doze of sarcasm: "And this is why, darling, the best New York will ever have is Ralph Lauren, when Paris will have Dior."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...