Your Ad Here

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rethinking Spielberg's War of the Worlds


I'm sitting here at work watching War of the Worlds with the students while they work on projects, and I forgot how good this movie is.  It got me thinking...have I missed something about what Spielberg accomplished in the 2000's?  I mean he made to sure-fire masterpieces Minority Report and Munich, a big-budget (and dare I say arty) summer blockbuster in War of the Worlds, and not to mention a movie I still haven't seen that many consider his greatest achievement of the decade, A.I.  So...this got me thinking: should I do a retrospective on Spielberg's 2000-2009 output?  There are still some films I need to see (the obvious one being A.I.), and I think that I could benefit from revisiting his films -- most notably War of the Worlds since I'm half watching it now (and am damn impressed with it) while the kids do their projects -- like The Terminal (didn't think much of it when I first saw it) and Catch Me If You Can.  I'm considering starting in 2001 with A.I. and rethinking his oeuvre the past decade and giving the man the due he deserves for a decade of quality work. Anyway...am I alone on thinking that War of the Worlds is a near-great action movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...