Your Ad Here

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Hoop Change

They say that a change is as good as a holiday. Seems life is one long holiday for me. Who would have thought that a plastic circle could have such an impact on every element of life?

DSC_0134
DSC_0010

Let's start with the physical changes. I hear varying reports about the number of calories that hooping burns per hour and it is not something that I am really too concerned about. What I can say is that hooping has rapidly and drastically changed the shape, feel and strength of my body. As fat has been dissolved muscle definition has been enhanced, this does wonders for self confidence. Clothes that I probably would not have felt comfortable wearing a few months ago are now so loose I cannot wear them. The great thing is though I am not skinny by any means, I have a lot of meat on my bones it is just that that meat has become more defined and solid. I have to be pleased with that. All thanks to the hoop.

Hoop Dance performances require me to steer away from the jeans and t-shirt look I was used to, to a tighter, shorter version of everything. I have had the standard body conscious moments in the past, not feeling entirely comfortable with what was going on but I can say that much of those concerns have been spun off. There is something about wearing fishnets and metallic hot pants in public, not something I would have ever done in the past, that causes a fight or flight mechanism to kick in. You either rock it or stash it away in the cupboard. Hooping has helped me to rock it.
DSC_0078

The spiritual benefits of being a hooper. Whether we want to believe it or not the fact is that life is a reflection of what you put out there. I can offer up a million and one examples of situations that have occurred due to the manifestation of thoughts and positive actions. Since having hoops swirling around in my life, everything about my existence has evolved so positively fast. On a daily basis I am flooded with love and support by friends, family and strangers. What I am giving out is pouring back into my life ten fold. I am often overwhelmed at how easily my every thought and dream becomes a reality. While I know I have so many people to thank for that, I also know I have to give props daily to the hoops and my dedication to sharing the joy they create.

DSC_0096

The emotional side effects of hooping should be obvious. You cannot be unhappy inside a hoop. Some of my friends have questioned my passion in the past, misunderstood it. Once they get their hips moving and that hoop grooving they are hooked just like me. To watch the hoop love spread throughout my growing circle of amazing friends is life giving.

The hoop has touched my family in fun filled ways too. I have a very creative sister who has her head in spin about what color and pattern to make her next hoop. While I secretly wish that she could come to Tokyo for a hoop up, I know that she will enjoy her time in the London hoop circle. I think we could put on one very fabulous family hoop tour, Mum has her very own hoop too!

DSC_0092

Hooping continues to challenge and change me daily. I hungrily seek more, give more and in return am rewarded so very much more.

p.s. All photos in this post were taken by Masao at last night's Sky High party in The Mado Lounge hosted by the fabulous Guy Perryman. More photos of the fun filled night here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...