Your Ad Here

Saturday, February 2, 2008

How Much is that Doggie in the Window?




When we were very very young, my father had a turn table that played 78 rpm black vinyl records. And because the family listened to a lot of records, we could sing several of the English songs quite well while my mother could easily pick up the Chinese songs. That was our only entertainment in Hua Hong Chiong. My father bought a Philips radio only much later.

Turn tables were popular home amenities in those days. Many families already had them and in the evenings, the records would be played over and over again. It was especially interesting when the turn table needed winding and the singing would go a little haywire. So children would compete with each other to wind the turn table and get the record going at the correct speed.

One song that my mother sang to us was "How much is that doggie in the window?" And we would join in singing the chorus. I remember it was very very happy time for us. Mother has always been a good singer. And we would also try to outdo each other with the arf! arf!!

Lyrics:

How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)
The one with the waggley tail
How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)
I do hope that doggie's for sale

I must take a trip to California
And leave my poor sweetheart alone
If he has a dog, he won't be lonesome
And the doggie will have a good home

How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)
The one with the waggley tail
How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)
I do hope that doggie's for sale

I read in the paper there are robbers (roof! roof!)
With flashlights that shine in the dark
My love needs a doggie to protect him
And scare them away with one bark

I don't want a bunny or a kitty
I don't want a parrot that talks
I don't want a bowl of little fishies
He can't take a goldfish for a walk

How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)
The one with the waggley tail
How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)
I do hope that doggie's for sale
I do hope that doggie's for sale
__________________________________
Note:
Arf! Arf! sounds like a small dog.
Roof! Roof! sounds like a bigger dog.



Today, we have learned that "(How Much Is) That Doggie in the Window?" is a popular novelty song written by Bob Merrill in 1952. It was adapted from a well-known Victorian music hall song.

The best-known version of the song was recorded by Patti Page on December 18, 1952 and released by Mercury Records.

The song tells the story of a young woman who "must take a trip to California," and wants to buy a dog for her boyfriend so that he will not be lonely (and, presumably, not look for affection from another woman).

Despite its original popularity, "(How Much Is) That Doggie in the Window?" gained a reputation for being especially obnoxious. The critic Donald Clarke wrote that "Nobody knows how many music fans stopped listening to the radio after hearing 'Doggie In The Window' too many times. (???) But children in Sarawak in those days enjoyed the song.

I am not sure about its popularity amongst mothers and children today although I have seen CDs for children carrying the title. But humming the tune continues to give me a lot of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...